Often times you don’t know what to expect when a client invites you into their home for a photo session, not to mention a maternity session for a family introducing their youngest child to the world.
I’d like to say congratulations to Jennifer & James. My God continue to bless your family today, tomorrow and your many years to come.
So, what can you do when you’re client would like to have their photo session at their home?
Being flexible…Being creative…
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I arrived at their home. Sometimes you have a large family with little space. Other times you may have a small family with lots of space.
For the Hopkins maternity pictures, I has lots of space and a small family and we had lots of fun taking pictures.
The creative part was turning a very well lit living space with plenty of windows into a dark room. You’ll never guess what we did in a million years since Jennifer & James wanted a solid black background.
Here’s how we darkened the room!
- First, I hung the black backdrop on the fireplace using the candles on the ledge to hang the backdrop on the edge.
- Second, we darken the room as much as possible by closing all the blinds and turned down the lights.
- Third, I set the constant lamps on the left and right sides of the family with very little light on the backdrop.
- I used a softbox on my flash to soften the direct light.
- In postprocessing, I darkened the background completely using On1’s photo editing software.
You never want to substitute quality, creative design, and customer service for your maternity pictures with an android or iPhone and neither did Jennifer & James.
Sure, there are times when mobile phone pictures are perfect.
But when you’re looking to capture those unforgettable moments that you want to share for many years to come, such as maternity pictures, please do not substitute your cousin’s iPhone for professional pictures by a photographer.
But don’t take my word, watch the video created with the maternity pictures from a family that any photographer would love to shoot.
We ended the maternity session with the girls playing daddy and giving him lots of love.
‘Til the next episode,
Would you like to have Maternity Pictures of your child?
If yes, click the “Contact Us” button and give me a call, send me a message or click the chat button in the bottom corner and we can chat through Facebook messenger.